Page last updated 4th May 2009 by Sue Froud

STOKE ST GREGORY

Information complied by Sue Froud

Stoke St Gregory is the village where all my Chedzoy family originate from the mid 1600's onward. In the ancient registers it was known as Gregory Stoke. The name Stoke is from the Anglo-Saxon word Stoc which means place. A church has stood on this site since Anglo Saxon times. The church is dedicated to St. Gregory. The Patronal Festival of Gregory the Great is 3rd September. The Parish registers start in 1561. Stoke St Gregory is such an intriguing place, so many researchers seem to have roots in this village, many families are still there after 500 years, with branches now spread all over the world.

for more information about Stoke St Gregory see GENUKI-SOM

Stoke St Gregory Parish Register for Baptisms 1561 - 1700 click here

Stoke St Gregory Parish Register for Baptisms 1701 - 1800 click here

Stoke St Gregory Parish Register Baptisms  1801 - 1850 click here

Stoke St Gregory Parish Register Baptisms  1851 - 1929 click here

Stoke St Gregory Register of Banns of Marriage  1754 - 1812 click here

Stoke St Gregory Register of Banns of Marriage  1849 - 1901 click here

Stoke St Gregory Parish Register for Marriages 1564-1799 click here

Stoke St Gregory Parish Register for Marriages 1800 - 1837 click here

Stoke St Gregory Parish Register for Marriages 1837 - 1850 click here

Stoke St Gregory Parish Register for Marriages 1851 - 1901 click here

Stoke St Gregory Parish Register for Burials 1561 - 1700 click here

 Stoke St Gregory Parish Register for Burials 1701 - 1800 click here

Stoke St Gregory Parish Register Burials 1801 - 1887 click here                                        

Miscellaneous information from the Stoke St Gregory Parish Registers click here

A few grave stone inscriptions from Stoke St Gregory Church click here   

Information on Slough Court Farm click here

More on the Church click here 

 

back to Somerset page | back to Chedzoy page | back to Pearce page